Co-working space at The Workspace in Randburg
As the world becomes increasingly connected and technology gives workers more flexibility, new ways of working are becoming more popular. Plus, of course, the nine-to-five job is no longer the only way to work. Millennials and the global economic meltdown have resulted in many more people working for themselves, launching start-ups, freelancing or becoming contractors.
And that means workspaces have changed… and options are no longer limited to home offices or the local coffee shop with free Wi-Fi. Co-working has distinct economic benefits.
1. You don’t have to sign a long lease, pay a rental deposit and still have an escalation in your rental each year. Co-work spaces generally operate on a month-to-month pay-as-you-go basis.
2. There’s no need to spend a fortune on office furniture and attractive upmarket décor. It’s all done for you. Just bring your laptop, and plug in. Speaking of plugging in, co-working spaces have technology all sorted out. You don’t have to pay for expensive infrastructure as it’s all been connected already. There’s fibre with high-speed Internet, all on tap, as is the IT guy.
3. Got an important meeting or international video conference? High-end co-work spaces have meeting rooms fully equipped with the latest telecoms, video conferencing facilities and projectors. All you have to do is book the room.
4. You don’t pay utility costs. No rates, electricity, water bills. It’s all included in the package you choose to sign up for.
5. You can choose to work in a collective open-plan space or if you need privacy, a private booth equipped with laptop connections. Some co-work spaces even offer fully serviced private offices.
6. No need to pay for a receptionist, that’s all sorted out already. Some co-work spaces, such as The Workspace, have a range of business services available such as courier and storage, for example.
7. Should you have business guests you want to impress, there’s no need to fork out a fortune on restaurants. The Workspace, for example, has an on-site café with great coffee and light meals on hand.
The Workspace offers cost-effective co-working spaces at select branches.