A checklist of who you need to notify – and how – if you are moving home and changing address in South Africa.


Moving home is exciting – the admin less so.


Before you get packing you need to inform lots of people and institutions of your change of address and/or telephone number.


Start notifying people 30 days before you move.


Some will require a phone call, email, letter or visit. For many, you can go online and change your address on the relevant website.


We do the thinking for you with a checklist of who to notify – and how to do it.


Friends and family

The quickest, easiest and cheapest way to inform family and friends is a direct message on Facebook, WhatsApp or email.


Posting change-of-address cards may be necessary for some people, but it’s timely and costly.


Your employer

This is most quickly achieved with an email or visit to the HR department.


If the company is small, contact the accounts department to update your address.


Your children’s school

Many schools have children’s details online that you can access and edit.


If not, send an email to the school admin office or hand in a letter with change of address at reception.


Doctors, dentists and vets

If you correspond with health professionals via email, then drop an email to your doctors, dentist and vet (and other health professionals) to inform them of your change of address. Alternatively, write to or visit the practice.


If you’re moving away and changing practices, you’ll need to let all your existing health professionals know that you’re leaving.


Once you’re in your new home, visit new practices to register.


The Bank

If you use online banking most banks allow you to change your address and telephone number by logging in online.


If not, you’ll need to update your details by visiting your local branch.


Post Office

The Post Office offers a Change of Address Service that requires you to fill out a form and hand it in at a branch.


Mail is redirected for a specified period of time to your new address. Details and the Redirection of Mail form can be found at



South African Revenue Service (SARS)

If you use a tax professional, inform him or her of your change of address. He or she will inform SARS.


If you’re an eFiler, you can change your address online. If not, you’ll have to go to a branch.


Find out more at https://www.sars.gov.za/TaxTypes/PIT/Tax-Season/Pages/Maintain-personal-details-on-eFiling-vs-Branch.aspx



You need to update your details with the municipality so that you stop receiving rates bills and statements at your old house and receive them at your new house.


If you move between municipalities, you need to register your details with the new municipality.


In some municipalities, this is done automatically when you buy a new house. But not all. Enquire with your lawyer, if you have one, and your old and new municipality. (There’s no easy way to do this.)


Electoral register

If you’ve moved home (even a short distance) since you registered, your voting district and voting station may have changed and you may need to re-register.


Find out all you need to know online here: https://www.elections.org.za/content/For-Voters/Moved-since-you-registered-/


SABC TV licence

You need to inform the SABC of a change of address if you want to transfer your licence to your new home.


All notices to the SABC must be in writing and addressed to: The Manager, Television Licences, SABC, Private Bag X60, Auckland Park 2006; or by freepost to: JHZ153K, SABC, Auckland Park; or by fax/email to the numbers/addresses on the SABC’s TV licence correspondence.


Vehicle licence registration

You need to submit a completed ‘notification of change of address or particulars of person’ form and a number of documents to the appropriate registering authority where you move.


You will need to go to the office with the form, your ID, proof of residence in the form of a utility bill and details of your car.



Contact all vehicle, household, medical and life insurers to let them know you have changed address.


It will depend on the organisation whether you can do this online, via email, letter or on the phone.


Investments, pensions and retirement annuities

Inform any company you have investments, a pension or a retirement annuity with of your new address.


Most can be accessed via an online portal.


Roadside recovery

Contact any roadside recovery organisation, such as the AA, to update your details.


For the AA, update your details by calling 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8am and 5pm.



If you have a landline you need to contact Telkom 30 days before moving to inform it of your move and to ask if your number can be moved with you.


Click here to find out how to do this.


Mobile and fibre providers

Most cellphone providers enable you to make changes online.


• Vodacom: visit https://www.vodacom.co.za/vodacom/update-details.


• MTN: email your new address and ID to webmaster@mtnsp.co.za, or call 135 from your cellphone, or visit MTN Active https://mycontract.mtn.co.za for the self-help options.


Subscription services

To keep receiving subscription magazines, newspapers or any product that is delivered to you, notify the organisation of your change of address.


Memberships, clubs, societies

If you’re a member of a gym, a club or any society, you will need to notify them of your change of address. In most instances, an email will suffice.


What we offer at XtraSpace SelfStorage

At XtraSpace, we offer clean, secure self-storage units that are ideal for storing breakables, furniture and other items until you’re ready to move them into your new home or premises. Contact us for more information or browse to find a branch near you.


Contact us