With good weather, plenty of interesting places to visit around the country and an abundance of natural beauty, camping road trips are understandably popular in South Africa.
A number of compact camping trailers are now available too. These make it that much more comfortable to spend your nights under the stars.
Here, we offer an overview of some of the most popular, innovative camping trailers on offer in South Africa – for those in the market and daydreamers alike!
Bushwakka Sundowner II Sleeper 4x4 Off-Road
The Bushwakka Sundowner may sleep only two people but it opens into an impressive and comfortable living space. It’s easy to set up and, considering everything it contains, folds back down into a remarkably compact trailer.
The Sundowner includes a stainless steel and aluminium body, a bush canopy that fans out for quick, easy setup and an easily accessible kitchen.
Opus AirOpus Safari - 4 Sleeper
Designed in Australia, the Opus AirOpus Safari is a super-rugged camping trailer, made to manage any terrain that a 4x4 can. Its unique double fold-out tent design creates a spacious sleeping and living area.
Among the AirOpus’ features are:
- automatic 90-second setup using inflatable air supports
- two double beds with high-density foam mattresses
- comfortable, sheltered lounge area that transforms into a third bed
- full-size chassis and trailing arm suspension with twin shock absorbers
- slide-out kitchen with a four-burner stove and sink
- 2 80-litre stainless steel water tanks with electric water pumps
- plenty of storage space.
Conqueror Commander Off-Road Caravan
The slightly bigger but no less durable Conqueror Commander allows a few different configurations of sleeping arrangements, and is suitable for families or groups of friends. The camping trailer is primarily aluminium and includes plenty of well-organised storage space – every item has it place.
Some of the Commander’s key features include:
- 80-litre fridge/freezer
- shower tent with internal and external access
- hot and cold water on demand
- streamlined setup that minimises the need for poles and pegs
- 150-litre polyethylene water tank and space for two jerry cans
- heavy-duty shock absorbers for off-road travel
- designated mountings for gas bottles, spare wheel, spade and so on.
African Backbone Caprivi 4x4 Camper Trailer
The African Backbone Caprivi is a super-compact trailer that folds out into a spacious ground tent, which comfortably sleeps up to 6 people.
Clever use of space, including a sliding cupboard system, means this small and relatively light trailer has everything you’re likely to need. It’s also rugged, with full off-road capabilities and the option of a 2.5 or 3-tonne axle.
The Caprivi’s key features include:
- fully installed power system with 220 V outlets
- 60-litre water tank and two jerry cans
- 60-litre fridge on easy to use slider
- 14, 15 or 16-inch wheel options, with a spare
- two gas bottle holders
- adaptor for charging from the towing vehicle while driving
- lockable storage and a clothing cupboard.
Another super-compact option, the Imagine Trailvan expands to provide a comfortable living area with outdoor kitchen and indoor sleeping and shower facilities.
Awning and enclosure options mean you can adjust the amount of shelter or privacy you have, depending on where you are and what the weather is doing.
Some of the Trailvan’s features are:
- 85-litre water tank
- two double beds
- 12-drawer or 4-shelf wardrobe
- sink with running water and two-burner stove in a slide-out kitchen
- sliding fridge/freezer with 90-litre capacity
- tent enclosure that closes completely for added privacy
- nose cone storage.
Trailer storage with XtraSpace
A camping trailer is a worthwhile investment for avid outdoor adventurers – but when it’s time to get back to the real world, storing it can be a problem.